Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Writer's Post - Not as Exciting as an Artist's Post!

I've gotta say, I feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here... Lauren gets to post all the cool art, and I get to say things like "I wrote 3 more pages today! Whoop-i-dee-do!" Ah well, such is the writer's life!

But this post isn't all about me complaining... No, this post is about how the first story arc of Ham 'n Eggs is all fleshed out, and it's called All in the Family! Lauren and I have all of the beats worked out to get us from the beginning of this story arc to the end. And what an end it has! I'm so excited about it, I can't wait to get to that point in the writing. In fact, I've don't something I never do when it comes to my writing... I made an outline! We've bantered so many hysterical ideas around that I got worried I was going to forget them all. So I decided I should do what real writers do and work up an outline.

Typically I'm not a fan of outlines. I feel like they stifle the story I'm trying to tell a bit. I like to let the characters, pacing, and plot dictate where the story goes. If I try to pigeon-hole the story into the established outline, I find I'm just going through the motions, writing to get from bullet point to bullet point.

That said, why the hell would I outline this story, essentially crippling my creativity? Simple - Lauren. The daily communication I have with her about this story keeps it fresh and new and exciting. The way we create together energizes me and never allows me to feel like I'm writing to fill int he gaps from bullet point to bullet point.

Because of that, the story is moving along at a great clip. We're nearly ready to launch it. Here's how it's going to work: One page of the story is going to be posted each week on CaptionsandBalloons.com, kinda like a webcomic. Once the first story arc is complete, we'll collect it and publish it! So keep your eyes peeled here and at CaptionsandBalloons.com for the official launch!

Ok, enough boring writer diatribe for one day... But don't worry, Lauren will be posting more art soon!

~ Stephen

No comments: