Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Let the blood flow!

Wow... Ham & Eggs is 11 pages in and we've already got--

A decapitated whore:
A sheepdog with a knife buried to the hilt in his skull:

And a kitten splattered up against a wall:

We're kinda violent, huh? Yeah, yeah we are. Blame it on Cable TV, Video Games, Gansta Rap, or Catholic School... any of them are good scape goats. But what it boils down to is this - violence, when used to a ridiculous excess, is funny. Really funny. Especially when you pair it up with cute, cartoony images.

Hell, Looney Toons did it for years. Granted, they didn't use the same level of blood that Lauren and I enjoy. But the violence was still pretty brutal.

But you know what? I don't go around killing people. I don't cook puppies in an oven in my basement. I don't lay a finger on my children. Hell, I don't even kill flies - I try to catch them and release them into the wild since the poor bastards only live for like 1 day anyway! Violent comedy in my writing is an outlet for me. And Lauren's beautiful artwork increases that outlet even further because these goofy images aren't relegated to my mind... she breathes life into them on the page!

So, while I certainly don't recommend children ever view Ham & Eggs, I certainly hope that other semi-adults out there like myself enjoy seeing cute characters, reading absurd dialogue, and watching the body-count rise!

Because, trust me, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
~ Stephen

No comments: